We use “There to be” when we want to say that something exist. We can´t use “have” because in English the verb “ have” indicates that the thing or things belong to something or someone.
There are 10 computers in that classroom. (The sentence expresses that exist 10 computers in that classroom)
The classroom has 10 computers. (The sentence expresses that 10 computers belong to the classroom)
|Singular||There is a dog in the backyard||There isn´t a dog in backyard||Is there a dog in the backyard?|
|Plural||There are dogs in the backyard||There aren´t dogs in backyard||Are there dogs in the backyard?|
|Singular||There was a dog in the backyard yesterday||There wasn´t a dog in backyard yesterday||Was there a dog in the backyard yesterday?|
|Plural||There were dogs in the backyard yesterday||There weren´t dogs in backyard yesterday||Were there dogs in the backyard yesterday?|
|Singular/ Plural||There will be a dog in the backyard||There will not be a dog in backyard||Will there be a dog in the backyard ?|
There is another sky
There is another sky,
Ever serene and fair,
And there is another sunshine,
Though it be darkness there;
Never mind faded forests, Austin,
Never mind silent fields—
Here is a little forest,
Whose leaf is ever green;
Here is a brighter garden,
Where not a frost has been;
In its unfading flowers
I hear the bright bee hum:
Prithee, my brother,
Into my garden come!
Emily Dickinson (10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886 / Amherst / Massachusetts)
Complete the blanks with “there to be”in the tense indicated:
1. ____________ a doctor in this clinic today? Of course, today ____________ 2 doctors to attend the patients
2. ____________ stars in the sky tonight? No, _____________ stars in the sky to see tonight, it´s too cloudy!!
3. ____________ a car parked in front of my garage, What can I do?!!
4. In my classroom ____________ 20 students.
1. _____________ a man who lived in that castle.
2. _____________ fruits in the fridge? when I went to the kitchen___________ some apples.
3._____________ a new teacher in the school last week.
4._____________ many people at the party last night?
1. _____________ great musicians playing tomorrow.
2. _____________ a big rock concert next week!
3. _____________ a birthday cake to Linda´s birthday next Tuesday?
4. The show on TV said that ______________ a lot of snow this winter.
Confirm your answers in the comments below